Skip To Content

You are here:  Admissions > Military > Graduate Programs

Graduate Admission Requirements for Veterans

Veterans admission requirements for graduate programs and certificates
All of Spring Hill College’s graduate programs are open to any individual who has earned a baccalaureate degree or higher, and meets program specific admission requirements. A minimum grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale is generally required. Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended are required. Admission tests may also be required and vary by program. Specific admission requirements for each program are outlined below.

Tuition and financial aid information for graduate programs
A Spring Hill Degree is Affordable
Spring Hill College is proud to offer special tuition rates for veterans and service members. In addition we will assist you in taking full advantage of the benefits you've earned through your service in the armed forces. Depending up which type of veterans benefits you will be utilizing, the cost of tuition and fees at Spring Hill may be covered at 100%. And even if you don't qualify for full coverage, our programs are offered at tuition rates that are extremely competitive with other area private institutions.

Financial Aid
All graduate students can apply for financial assistance by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in addition to receiving your GI Bill benefits. The application can be found on the web at Financial aid counselors are also available to answer questions about the application, determining appropriate resources and amount of funds that will be needed. Below are links to the most commonly used types of financial aid:

Contact us today to discuss your needs and schedule a campus visit; (251) 380-3030 or

Transfer credit policy for graduate degrees
Up to nine semester hours or the equivalent of appropriate transfer credit from a regionally accredited institution may be accepted toward a master’s degree. No grade lower than B- will be accepted. The Provost and the program director in the department and/or the certification officer will evaluate requests for transfer of credit. No transfer credits earned prior to six years before matriculation will be accepted without evaluation by the program director and the Provost. Generally, no transfer credit will be given for coursework already counted for a previous degree.
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) – acceptable score is dependent on undergraduate GPA. A minimum score of 440 or higher is required regardless of GPA. The GMAT test requirement is waived for those entering the program with a previously earned master’s degree or higher.
Pre-requisite coursework in business may also be required and is determined by an evaluation of undergraduate transcripts and graduate transcripts, where applicable.
Master of Science in Education (MS)
(Applicants must hold or be eligible to hold a teaching certificate)
A written evaluation of the applicant’s effectiveness as a teacher.
An acceptable test score from either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), Miller Analogies Test (MAT), or the Core Battery of the National Teacher Examination or comparable Praxis tests.
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) 
(For applicants holding a degree in a field other than teaching.)
Acceptable test scores from either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), or Miller Analogies Test (MAT), and Praxis 1 (reading, writing & mathematics).
Pre-requisite coursework in order to meet Highly Qualified standards may also be required and is determined by an evaluation of undergraduate transcripts and graduate transcripts, where applicable.
Additional admission documents, recommendations and an on-site interview are also required and vary by the program you are applying for admission into.
Both programs, the MS & MAT, offer areas of study in the following fields:  early childhood education, elementary education, and secondary education in the teaching areas of  - English language arts, general social science and history.
For those earning a GPA of 3.0 or higher on their baccalaureate degree or having a previously earned master’s degree, there are no additional admission requirements. For those with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.0, an acceptable score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required.
Master of Theological Studies & Master of Pastoral Studies (MTS, MPS)
For those earning a GPA of 2.5 or higher on their baccalaureate degree or having a previously earned master’s degree, the only additional  admission requirement is to have completed or complete 6 semester-credit hours of coursework in theology. Applicants may complete pre-requisite coursework and graduate level coursework concurrently.
Master of Arts in Theology (MA)
Applicants must have earned the MTS (Master of Theological Studies) or an equivalent degree in theology or ministry with a GPA of 3.5 or higher prior to applying for admission into the MA program.
Applicants who have earned their associate degree in nursing or higher may apply for admission.  Qualified applicants must hold an RN license in the state where he or she practices nursing and have a minimum of one-year of clinical experience.
Exact admission requirements vary based on previously earned education credentials. Those entering the program from an associate degree or diploma RN program must meet general education requirements and complete RN to MSN bridge coursework. RN's with a non-nursing bachelor degree must complete the RN to MSN bridge coursework prior to beginning master's level curriculum. Those entering the program from the BSN level need only complete the master’s level curriculum.
The post baccalureate premedical studies certificate program requires that applicants have previously earned a bachelor's degree  from an accredited university or college in a field other than biology or chemistry, with an undergraduate GPA above 3.0 on the 4.0 scale. Applicants must also demonstrate their ability in standardized test taking by providing official scores from all standardized tests previously taken. Recommendations and a personal statement are also required.