Frequently Asked Questions
I received a popup on my computer regarding Windows XP. What does
Microsoft has stopped creating updates for the XP operating
What do I need to do?
- You do not need to do anything. The process of upgrading XP
machines will be handled by IT, and has already begun.
What are the differences between XP and Windows 7?
- From the user standpoint, there is very little difference. If you are
curious, please visit the link below, “Getting started with Windows
Why are we going to Windows 7 instead of the Windows 8?
- Windows 8 has a steep learning curve for the users. Moving to
Windows 7 can be done much more economically and has less
of a disruptive impact with regard to the need for training, other
software upgrades that would be required across the campus, and
equipment. Windows 7 will be supported through January 2020 and
is still a viable product.
When will my computer be upgraded?
- The project is currently underway with the major implementation
occurring this summer. Each user will be notified of the timeframe
for their upgrade.
What locations have Windows 8 on campus?
- The Burke Library already has Windows 8 on all computers in the
labs and in the public areas.
Getting started with Windows 7